I am very ill. Can I apply for SSI benefits and have my SSI and disability expedited? |
You are here:  Home  >  SSI  >  Current Article

I am very ill. Can I apply for SSI benefits and have my SSI and disability expedited?

By   /  March 3, 2016  /  15 Comments

Learn about the four situations in which your SSI and disability claim will receive expedited processing.

    Print       Email


Presumptive Disability

If you or your child has one of several medical conditions, your local Social Security office or the Disability Determining Services will determine that you are eligible for SSI payments to begin either immediately or very quickly because it is presumed that you are or your child is disabled.

Presumptive disability does not apply to Social Security Disability benefits. See our article “After I File a Disability Claim, How Long Does It Take the Social Security Office to Make a Determination?” for information about criteria for expedited Social Security benefits.

Presumptive SSI disability benefits will be paid for a maximum of six months while a full medical review of your claim is being conducted. The amount paid will depend on the amount of countable income you have in each month of presumptive disability payments. For information about countable income, see our articles “When I Complete My SSI Application Form, It Asks Me to Declare My Income. Does All My Income Affect My SSI?” and “Why Do I Have to Give Information about My Family’s Income and Assets When I Apply for SSI Benefits?

If you or your child is denied benefits because it is determined that you or your child is not disabled, you will not be asked to repay the funds paid to you. If you were overpaid for another reason such as unreported income, you would be responsible for repaying that overpayment.

The following conditions allow payment of SSI presumptive disability or blindness payments:

  • Amputation of a leg at the hip.
  • Allegation of total deafness, that is no sound perception in either ear.
  • Allegation of total blindness, that is, no light perception in either eye.
  • Allegation of bed confinement and immobility without a wheelchair, walker, or crutches, due to a longstanding condition excluding recent accident and recent surgery.
  • Allegation of stroke (cerebral vascular accident) more than three months in the past and continued marked difficulty walking or using a hand or arm.
  • Allegation of cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy, or muscular atrophy and marked difficulty walking (such as requiring an assistive device), speaking, or coordinating use of the hands or arms.
  • Allegation of Down syndrome.
  • Allegation of severe mental deficiency made by another individual filing on behalf of a claimant who is at least 7 years of age.
  • A birth certificate or other medical evidence showing that a child who has not reached his or her first birthday had a birth weight below 2 pounds, 10 ounces at birth, regardless of gestational age at birth.
  • Available medical evidence of a child who has not attained his or her first birthday shows a low birth weight at the corresponding a gestational age at birth.

33 weeks; weight at birth: at least,, but no more than 2 pounds, 15 ounces;
34 weeks; weight at birth: 3 pounds, 5 ounces or less;
35 weeks; weight at birth: 3 pounds, 12 ounces or less;;
36 weeks; weight at birth; 4 pounds, 2 ounces or less;
37-40 weeks; weight at birth: less than 4 pounds, 6 ounces.

  • Symptomatic human immunodeficiency virus infection, known as HIV, or acquired immunodeficiency syndrome, known as AIDS. For presumptive disability, you will need to have your physician complete Form SSA-4814 if you are an adult or SSA-4815 if you are filing for a child.
  • A physician confirms by telephone or in a signed statement that an individual has a terminal illness with a life expectancy of six months or less; or a physician or knowledgeable hospice official confirms that an individual is receiving hospice services because of a terminal illness.
  • Allegation of a spinal cord injury producing an inability to ambulate without the use of a walker or bilateral hand–held assistive devices for more than two weeks with confirmation of such status from an appropriate medical professional.
  • Allegation of end-stage renal disease requiring chronic dialysis. You will need to submit a completed CMS–2728 form “End Stage Renal Disease Medical Evidence Report–Medicare Entitlement and/or Patient Registration;”
  • Allegation of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, often called ALS or Lou Gehrig’s Disease.

If you or your child has any of these conditions, disability and SSI will be approved presumptively and payment will be started.

    Print       Email
  • Published: 3 months ago on March 3, 2016
  • By:
  • Last Modified: March 4, 2016 @ 4:27 pm
  • Filed Under: SSI


  1. Joanna says:

    Hi. I am 33 years old and have been followed for SLE (lupus) since I was 7 years old. At 17 I had severe flair ups and even had to be home schooled for a few months. Now, more recent, in the last 3 years I have had more severe symptoms. Some where I can’t even get out of bed. I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and Polymalagia Rheumatica. Right now I am a pre-Lupus diagnosis. I have not worked consistently before and my spouse does work a full time job with benefits. Would I qualify for any type of benefits?

    • Kay Derochie says:

      Dear Joanna,

      You may not have worked enough to be insured for Social Security Disability.I do not have enough information to determine whether you are financially eligible for SSI based on your family income and assets. I suggest that you contact Social Security to file an application. You can be screened for insured status and financial eligibility for the two programs before you complete the medical forms for the claims. You can start the Social Security application online at http://www.ssa.gov. State on the application that you also want to apply for SSI. Claim disability at the point in time that you symptoms became more severe.


  2. joelle says:

    my newborn has to have a complicated heart surgery at birth do we qualify to get childrens ssi

    • Kay Derochie says:

      Dear Joelle,

      I don’t have enough information to offer an opinion. The best way to find out is to file a claim to see whether your family income and assets are below the SSI limits and, if they are, whether your baby is a disabled child as defined by Social Security law.


  3. Diamond says:

    hello, my name is Diamond and i am just here to ask one question. I have a 9 year old child who was diagnosed with adhd and a learning disability, does he qualify for ssi. please email me back, as i know i won’t be able to find this page again. that u so much in advance

    • Kay Derochie says:

      Dear Diamond,

      I hope that you find this page again because I don’t respond via private email. Whether or not your son is eligible for SSI disability depends on how severe his conditions are and how much they limit his ability to function.


  4. Lenora Derragon says:

    My case is a dire need case its with a senior attorney how long does it take for decision its an otr

    • Kay Derochie says:

      Dear Lenora,

      I can’t predict how long it will take your claim to come up for review in the dire-need queque or for the judge to make a decision on the record (OTR). You can call the hearing office once a month to see if the decision has been made and the appeal has moved to letter writing. (Note that the office will not tell you what the decision is, just where it is in the process.)


  5. Angela bush-ford says:

    Please call me 900-1091 in Missouri I need to know what’s going on in my case, my mother died in April 2013 couldn’t make the hearing, please help, I’m about to lose everything I’ve worked so hard for ,, years, 816-900-1081 I have a lawyer burnet and Driskill in liberty mo

  6. Angela bush-ford says:

    I’ve been waiting for 4 years haven’t worked, RA CARLTHAGE IS DISAPERING IN MY NECK 4,5 7,8 compressing on my spinal cord, lower back same both knees mentail distress P.T.S.D PIPOLOR2
    Can’t hardly walk with out so much pain

    • Kay Derochie says:

      Dear Angela,

      I am responding to all your inquiries. I do not have access to your private Social Security claim records. To get the status of your claim, you need to call the Social Security Administration or your attorney.

      Best regards,


    • Lori says:

      They don’t care. I applied in 2009, due to medical bills I’ve been living in my care 21 months, lost custody of my 3 children, haven’t been able to work since 1998. I’ve been denied denied denied. Went to court Aug 6 2014. Its Sept and I am still waiting. The worst part of this is I had ssi from 2003-8 but lost it by marrying an idiot that made too much money, then left me and my kids ,12 months later, leaving us with nothing, moving in & out of friend’s houses, kids changing schools/.. Now they’re living with their father and I’m living in a corolla. SSA does not care.

      • Lori says:

        I’m hearing impaired, spinal cord damage caused by compression/stenosis, I have rare immune disease cvid & ehlers danlos. Severe progressive osteoarthritis, DDD, djd, tmj, fibromyalgia, PTSD,mdd, gafd, aspergers, & ibd-c. I use a walker, glasses, hearing aids (bilaterally). I have to use a back brace, wrist, knee and ankle, elbow bracing (due to eds). They simply do not care. I cannot move my bowels more than twice a month. I vomit every day. I try to commit suicide at least twice a year. I’ve had 3 drs narratives sent in staffing that I am completely and totally disabled and unable to work. I get human plasma infusions every 28 days. Pt 2x’s / week. It doesn’t matter, they’d rather you die first. I went to court, now wait 3 months for a decision, then appeal & go to federal court? I hope they

  7. Becky Olson says:

    I am on SSDI. Can I still receive the full amount of my benefits while renting with one person in an unmarried situation?

  8. Kay Derochie says:

    Dear Becky,

    Your living arrangements have no effect on your Social Security Disability (SSDI) benefit and you do not have to report when people move in and out of your household.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>