What other help can I get after I meet the SSI Disability qualifications and get an SSI approval?

By / Supplemental Security Income / 7 Comments

Find out about federal, state, and local assistance you may qualify for once you have received an SSI approval or even upon filing an SSI application.

Medicaid Health Insurance
In most states, if you receive an SSI approval, you will automatically be eligible for Medicaid health insurance. In other states, you must apply for Medicaid at an agency of the state or county in which you live. If you need to apply to the state for Medicaid, the Social Security Administration will let you know and will tell you where to apply.

If you are eligible for both Medicaid and Medicare, typically the Medicaid program pays your Medicare Part B and D premiums. For more information about Medicare and the difference between Medicare and Medicaid, please see our article If I am approved for Social Security Disability, will I be eligible for Medicare and Medicaid health insurance?

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program

Financial assistance to purchase food used to be called food stamps. Today it is called SNAP, short for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program. Eligibility for SNAP is based on financial need and SSI benefits count in determining eligibility for SNAP.

In most states, if you are applying for or are receiving SSI, you can to get a SNAP application and/or some SNAP information at your local Social Security office. In some states, if you are applying for SSI and live alone, your SSI application is also an application for SNAP. Except in California, if all members of your household receive SSI, the Social Security Administration may help you complete a SNAP application or re-certification. If you need to apply for SNAP in a state office, your Social Security office will provide its location and phone number.

Other Help With Health Insurance
If you have children and your family has low income, you may be able to get Medicaid for your children without SSI eligibility. If not, the children might be eligible for insurance under the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP). The website www.insurekids.gov and www.healthcare.gov will provide more information. You can also call 1-877-543-7669 have more information about health insurance for children.

If your income is low, but you do not qualify for SSI, you may get help paying your Medicare premiums with one of the following programs: Qualified Medicare Beneficiary, Specified Low-Income Medicare Beneficiary, Qualified Individual, or Qualified Disabled Working Individual. To apply for any of these programs contact your state or local social service agency or medical assistance office. More information about these programs is available by calling the Medicare toll-free number 1-800-633-4227 or 1-877-486-2048 for the deaf or hard of hearing.

State or Local Cash Assistance
Some states pay assistance based on disability or age while an SSI application is pending. Upon SSI approval, the state requires repayment. Accordingly, the Social Security Administration will reimburse the state from your SSI back pay when you receive an SSI approval. After SSI eligibility, your Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) will either continue in a reduced amount or stop due to your SSI income.

Housing and Utility Assistance

You can contact Housing and Urban Development (HUD) or your local housing authority to get on a waiting list for possible government-subsidized housing. If you are homeless, reach out to your closest governmental agency or non-profit that provides housing assistance for individuals and families who are homeless. Local non-profits and power companies sometimes have energy assistance programs to help with winter heating bills.

Read It To Me
Listen to the article with our text to speech feature
Ask the Adivsor

Send this to a friend